The Canberra Yacht Club was founded in 1959 as a focus for people from the ACT and surrounding regions who enjoy sailing. The Club provides recreational opportunities as well as organised racing on Lake Burley Griffin, usually on a Sunday and during the warmer months twilight sailing on a Wednesday evening.
More information is available on our facilities, racing and events pages. We also offer a full range of training and discovery opportunities through our accredited non profit Sailing School and Youth Sailing Academy. The club puts a strong emphasis on training and opportunities for young people as members of the Club's Youth Racing Squad.
The CYC also offers easy access to sailing for people of all ages through the hire of boats to people with some sailing ability. We also operate a boat shop with a wide range of fittings and paints.
Sailing is a sport for all ages, abilities and circumstances. You can spend as much or as little as you like. It is family oriented and opens up the scope for great holidays in places that non-sailors rarely see along Australia’s coastlines and inland lakes and waterways.
To access more information on the Club, who to contact about racing, casual sailing or training courses send an e-mail to: email@example.com
The book, Capital Sailing, relates the story of the 50 year history of the CYC, from its origins on Lake George in 1959 through to 2009. The book tells the story of the club as an important part of the social fabric of Canberra and of the achievements of its members.
Capital Sailing follows on from the previously published book (June 2008), from Lake George to Lake Burley Griffin, Canberra's Pioneer Sailors, which records in detail the history of the first 10 years of the club. It includes stories and photos about the Canberra Sailing Club and the RMC Sailing Club which conducted races on Lake George in the 1950s when the lake was full to overflowing and then the origins of the CYC in 1959. One of the highlights of the CYC's early days was the visit by the Governor General, Lord De L'Isle, as the official guest for the opening of season regatta in late September 1961. A copy of the printed program for that regatta, which includes the full list of entries, is reproduced in the book. The book also tells the story of the building of Lake Burley Griffin and of the club's preparations to move to Canberra when the lake filled, the subsequent building of the clubhouse which is still used today, and the early years of racing on Lake Burley Griffin from the summer of 1964-65.
A feature of the book is the collection of personal recollections of a number of early members of the club who were involved in both the Lake George and early Lake Burley Griffin days.